Thursday, May 21, 2009

Eight days and counting...

Did you ever think that as a mom you would be just as excited as you kids (if not more) about school letting out for the summer? I am counting down the days. Our family vacation was Disneyland in March, so we have nothing big planned. Mom just needs a break.

Once we got home from Disneyland the craziness started. In April, my son was in his school production of Oklahoma! and had a choir concert. Between rehearsals and early mornings driving him to Show Choir practice I was worn out. This month, he has had a recital for his Monday night singing lessons, tonight he was in a play for his Tuesday night youth theatre class, and tomorrow is the final choir concert of the year.

I love that Austin is involved in these activities both inside and outside of school. He is becoming quite a good actor and his singing has improved greatly. But trying to manage his schedule and homework with my work and homework has been a challenge. Add into the mix a lot of yard work, including a new garden, and the days have been quite long.

We are winding down though and it is nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel. The Monday singing and Tuesday theatre are over, and show choir ends with the school year. The challenge then runs to keeping him occupied during the summer.

Give me two months and I’ll be counting down the days until school starts. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy a little more freedom in the schedule and coming up with creative activities for the summer.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Amen! We've got the big dance recital for Anna next week and all the ramping up toward it this week. Children's Theater ended for Bethany none too soon (1st part of May). Logan will still have gymnastics all summer but that's more like free babysitting for him since I can send him to 'open gym' for a few hours a day for the same flat fee I pay for summer.

I'm so glad Austin is involved in all those activities. It makes a big difference for kids to have something to feel good about. I know it helped me a lot when I was his age though I wasn't particularly good at most things I did enjoy them.

My garden is overrun with weeds. Perhaps it will be tomorrow's project. I'm so ready to be done with school!

Cynthia said...

I keep checking back but see no updates or new posts. Guess I'll have to 'see' you on Facebook instead. Oh- and I just added 3 of Aunt Bev's 4 kids (the girls) to my friend list.