Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Finally, a new post…

It has been a month since my last post. I would like to say it is because I am too busy to blog. I’m not. My excuses for slacking are:

  1. I am blocked.
  2. I have an idea and it runs away.
  3. I fall into the “Does anyone really care what I have to say?” thought process.
  4. I am not a mommy with funny cute things to say about my kids. I have a teenager and most the things they say are not always post-able.
  5. I am lazy.
  6. I am kind of boring.

Excuses aside, I am posting now with an update of our summer so far.

During the summer my son spends every other week with his dad, step-mom, and siblings. This doesn’t allow for any sort of real routine in our household but allows him somewhat equal time between houses and friends. It is a good break for me but the days can be so boring when my son is not here. Plus I end up doing all of the chores. My neighbor and I agreed that the reason we have teenagers is to help with yard work. Somehow or other mine tends to get out of it, usually because he is with his dad.

For the Memorial Day weekend, I went camping in Indianola with my sisters, their families, and friends. My son opted to spend the weekend with his dad. It was the first time I have been camping in a long time and I had quite a bit of fun, even with the almost continuous rain.

My garden is doing well. I harvested my second crop of radishes the other day and have realized that radishes give me heartburn but I love them. I love having a garden but hate the weeds.

Two weeks ago, we had a small get together at my parent’s house to watch the city parade that passes right by their house. Not all of us were able to make it, but we had fun none-the-less. The highlight of the evening was watching my father dive out of his camp chair to go after a ball thrown by a group in the parade. He landed on the ball, but knocked over his chair and sacrificed his beer. The cop monitoring the parade from the corner even came over to comment on the gracefulness. My niece and nephew appreciated his efforts when he let them have the ball.

Last Friday, my son, Austin, had his wisdom teeth removed. As expected he was pretty out of it after the surgery. A few hours after we got home, he asked “Mom was I in a wheelchair?” Yes, he was. In the car the next day, “Mom, why is my seat laying back so far?” He moved it while we were driving home from the surgery center so that he could lay down a little bit. Austin is recovering really well. According to him, it is because he is young.

On Sunday, we had a family party at my sister’s house. Again my dad showed his graceful side by falling off of my nephews skateboard. Yes, my 60 some odd year old father was riding a skateboard like he was still a kid. Prior to his face plant on the concrete, he was giving my niece and nephew piggy back rides. My dad is a bit of a curmudgeon to say the least, so it says quite a bit about how badly he is wrapped around my niece’s finger when she is able to get multiple piggy back rides while swatting Grandpa on the backside and shouting “Yah Yah.”

So far we have been having a good time this summer and there is more to come, camping, fishing, time with friends and family…and hopefully more blog posts.





1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the visual of your Dad making a diving grab! I could totally see it in my mind and if my mental picture is half as funny as the actual event, it must have been something to behold!

We're having our 6th Annual Cul-de-Sac of Fire on the 25th of July. If you have nothing better to do come and join us. Greg's band plays classic rock, we have a BBQ and a MASSIVE display of fireworks. We generally have around 200 people attend (big crowd, be warned).

I was down in your neck of the woods today and gave a silent wave as we passed through your town on our way back from the lavender farm. I also gave a silent bird to Greg's ex who also lives in your town! LOL!