Thursday, July 16, 2009

Addiction

It is the day before payday and I am scrounging for change.

The basket in the laundry room where I throw the loose change from the washer yields 15 cents while the change canister in the kitchen comes up empty. Forget the change jar in the bedroom, it was raided long ago and never replenished. A search through the car gets me 10 cents. Feeling hopeful and slightly crazed I check the ashtray in the Blazer. I haven’t driven it for a few months and have no idea what to expect.

Jackpot! Could this be enough? I scoop out the change and find 70 cents in dimes and nickels. Almost there. I count out five pennies and throw the rest back into the ashtray.

I feel rich. I have a dollar!

Getting in the car, I head to the gas station. The gauge is on E and the odometer says “Fuel Level Low”. As if I need the reminder.

Pulling up to the drive thru window I ask, “Can I get a 32 ounce Coke without ice?”

The young man hands me my Coke and I give him a handful of change. A dollar to be exact.

Before driving away I take a sip. I feel the little bubbles of carbonation fill my mouth and the cool liquid slides down my throat. It hits my stomach and my nerves are calmed.

I have my Coke. My day can begin.

2 comments:

Maiken said...

mmmmm I love love love that first sip of Coke in the morning!

Cynthia said...

Amen! I can't count the number of times I've had to scrounge for change to get my diet coke fix. I'll ONLY drink fountain cokes because they are the best tasting. Luckily Greg never spends his change so keep a big 'ole bag of it in my glovebox. Keep that coke coming!