Monday, October 19, 2009

Self-Esteem

Self-esteem can be an elusive thing. It seems that one day you have it and the next you don’t. In reality the loss of one’s self-esteem is a slow process and it is hard to pin point an exact cause. I write this because I am currently struggling with my own self-esteem.

I know that I have a lot of good qualities. I am a good mother, a good daughter, a good sister, a good friend, a good employee. I am talented and smart. So why is knowing these things not good enough?

Maybe my answer is simplistic but being single in a sea of couples is part of why I think I don’t measure up. It is a lame answer, I know. I also know that unless I find a way to be happy with who I am now, I won’t be happy with who I am IF I ever become part of that elusive couple.

I am trying to make more of an effort to put myself together every day. Working from home 90% of the time has made me lazy. I also plan to try to get into the office more than once a week, just to get out of the house. I am exercising more and eating less. Maybe being proactive instead of reactive will help.

How do you feel good about yourself when you feel like something is missing in your life? When you feel like you don’t measure up? What is the secret?

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I wish I had the secret. The closest I've come is 'fake it till you make it'. Not being the most attractive woman, I've never had men falling all over me. However, once I got out of school and saw how many loser guys are out there I realized I was a good catch. As soon as *I* figured it out, it seems the guys did too- even if most of them were still losers!

I think it's something that ebs and flows. I gave up a great career to be home with my kids. I know I'm lucky to have had the chance but as I look at getting back into the workforce now, I feel so worthless. I'm a freakin' Walmart Greeter now! My skills are rusty and limited. I'm not up with the latest and greatest.

We can feel inadequate in some areas of our lives while still being perfectly accomplished in others. They can co-exist. It's not an all or nothing kind of thing.