Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Simple Things: Walking

These past two evenings I have taken long walks with my friends Robyn and Rachelle. Walking is such a simple thing that makes me feel better about everything.

I prefer walking outside and with friends. No treadmill for this girl. I like the fresh air, the scenery, the feel of the sun on my sun-block protected skin. Walking with friends feels less like exercise and more like an outing with the girls. If I can’t walk with friends, I borrow my son’s iPod and set up a playlist of upbeat songs and take the dog along.

Walking is such a simple and basic exercise. Almost everyone can do it. You don’t need to walk fast or far. Just walk.

When I walk my mood improves, my stress level decreases, all of the thoughts running around in my head seem to settle and I can think more clearly.

There are all sorts of health benefits from walking from weight management to lower blood pressure but what it all boils down to for me is this: walking simply makes me feel good. This is why walking is one of The Simple Things.

3 comments:

just call me jo said...

Lola and I walked yesterday but it's HOT here even at 8:30 a.m. I need to get out earlier. Glad you can enjoy the fresh air and friendship. Keep on...Breathe deep!

Katie said...

I'm with you on this one. I get bored so fast when I'm on the treadmill. When I'm walking with my freinds, it goes by so much faster.

Linda said...

I couldn't agree more! I walked this morning with 4 friends for an hour and the flew by. Doesn't even seem like exercise...I love it! It's the perfect way to start the day!