Monday, May 7, 2012

Here Fishy Fishy...

The weekend  was more eventful than most.  It wasn't planned that way but I generally don't make too many plans for the weekends anyway. 

Friday evening I played farmer and planted my vegetables in pots.  I will post pictures when they start to grow a little larger.  This turned out to be a good thing.  The spot I had intended to use for my garden happens to be the dog's resting spot.  He can dig, he can lay down.  Hopefully he will stay away from my plants.

Prom was Saturday night and I allowed my son to take my car with him to his dad's house for the weekend making it easier for Austin to run his prom errands.  I walked the mile to the library and the gas station for a coke and headed home, intending to spend the afternoon curled up with a good book.  I sort of got sidetracked by the television and about the time I decided to pick out one of my books to read, my son and his friend pull up outside bearing groceries.

Apparently the dinner plans has changed and they were having dinner in our backyard.  While the boys scurried about to get everything set up, I drove the dog to my parents house for rest of the weekend.  An attention whore of a dog, prom dresses, tuxedos, and food did not seem to be a good mix. 

The kids had their dinner on the patio while my  "male friend" (who from this point forward will be identified by his initials JP) and I had dinner at a restaurant in town, followed by a long drive by Utah Lake.

When I arrived home, the kids had left me a lovely mess to clean up.  Between cleaning the kitchen and patio, and getting my fishing gear ready for Sunday, I didn't get to bed until after midnight.  This only left five and a half hours before I had to get up for a day of fishing.

JP picked me up at 6:35 am (ten minutes early) bearing breakfast and we headed off to pick up his friend and head into the mountains.

By 8:30 our poles were in the water.  While the lake was still pretty glassy, I managed to get a shot of the view from my camp chair.  The camera on my phone does not do it justice.


JP caught the first fish of the day. He was a teeny little bugger and was  released to be caught another day.   I caught the first "keeper".  He wasn't impressive but I was happy with myself.  It was also the only fish I managed to reel in. 

We obviously need to work on our fish photography skills.
Soon after I caught the "big one", a bunch of Pelicans flew in and shared the lake with us.  I do not know what the proper termsis for a group of Pelicans. They sort of drifted in and landed gracefully on the water, when they took off again you could hear the flapping of the wings. I think they are graceful. JP thinks they are ugly and awkward looking.  

We left the lake at six.  Relaxed and happy with a line full of fish.  After loading the car, JP turned the key  - dead battery.  With no other soul in site, we attempted to push start the car - no go.  Luckily, a family pulled up and had jumper cables.  A quick jump and we were on our way.

I love fishing with JP.  He isn't obsessed with catching the most fish or even the biggest fish.  He simply enjoys the day.  He is rarely in a hurry.  He is teaching me to improve my cast and when he helps me he isn't condescending.  Because of this, I ask for his opinion and I allow him to help me anytime he thinks I need a helping hand.  He doesn't realize how significant this is for someone as independent as myself. 

When I came home, Austin was here to greet me and put away my fishing gear  - it goes in the attic and I am not really fond of climbing up there.

It may have been a busy weekend but it was a great weekend.  I spent time with people I care about.  Saw my handsome son in his tuxedo and because I cleaned up the mess from his date, he promised to organize the Tupperware cupboard.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Good for you! So glad to see you got out and had some fun. Fishing is not exactly my idea of a good time but that happens when you're married to a die hard fisherman. Cute pic of you and the fishy.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Oh, Oh, you have a "male friend"! I'm so excited! (Yes, in all that, THAT's what I latched on to!)

mCat said...

My dad was a fisherman like that. We spent more Saturday's sitting on a blanket by the lake with our lines cast and just hanging out. Sometimes we caught fish and sometimes not, but it was more about just hanging out together.

Sounds like a perfect weekend!