Saturday, March 19, 2011

Peace?

Today my normally peaceful house has been overrun by various nieces and nephews.  My nieces called to ask if they could come over and make muffins - my sister's oven is not working.  When my sister brought them over she conveniently left my 5 year old nephew.  After muffins were made and eaten they then drew pictures and painted.  After several hours, I took them home and came back for a few short hours of peace. The peace was again disrupted when my brother pulled in with his two boys.  They get to spend the night with Aunt Amy and Cousin Austin, while their parents enjoy a kid free evening.  So far, so good.  They are watching a movie with my son down stairs while I enjoy a little bit of quiet upstairs.

There are days when the quiet in my house is so overwhelming that I have to turn the television on just to hear something other than my own thoughts, yet how quickly I miss that quiet when the house is full of kids demanding attention.   I do love having the kids around.  I am glad that they want to come and visit us.  It is nice to be the aunt they enjoy spending time with.  But it is also nice that I get to send them home again. 

So for tonight there is little peace and quiet to be had in my house but come tomorrow morning, silence will reign again.  I am still not sure which one I like best.

1 comment:

mCat said...

I think it's great to be able to have both. Right now, I am enjoying peace and quiet after a day of mostly meltdowns. : )