Sunday, February 22, 2009

Countdown to Disneyland

A week from tonight I will be in California with my parents, my brother Ryan, his girlfriend Jessica, and more importantly my son Austin. We will be spending a week at Disneyland and possibly a visit to Sea World.

I am a little nervous about the trip - not the logistics - just making sure that Austin has a great time. I worry that I am a little too tense most of the time and don't loosen up as much as I should. On this trip with my son I shouldn't be like that. As it is we don't spend enough time doing fun things together.

I haven't been to Disneyland for about 20 years. I was in fifth grade when the Honeyman clan climbed into the station wagon - without Ryan - and ventured west. My dad likened it to the Griswold's heading to Wally World. I remember having so much fun on that trip and want to make this one fun for my son.

Austin has been to Disneyland, Sea World, and accidentally to Mexico with this Dad. Imagine your child calling you from his vacation and telling you he spent a day south of the border when California was the only destination. At least he can say he has been to Mexico. Since his experience is more recent than mine, I've told him that once we get there he gets to take the reins. Thankfully he knows I have a weak stomach and won't expect me to go on anything I can't handle - that is what Uncle Ryan is for.

Austin also knows that my Dad and I both have a serious aversion to the song "It's A Small World" and I remember from twenty plus years ago how much that ride bugged me. I mean, seriously, does it really need to be sung in every language out there. Okay, yeah, so it is a small world and I get the meaning of the ride but hearing it in English is more than enough for me. Hearing it in French, German, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Arabic, etc. is just too much. Honestly, I would not be surprised to hear it in Klingon or ancient Aramaic though I think Jesus would find it just as annoying in his Language as I do in ours.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Have a great time! I'm so jealous. The Nielson clan never did get to go to Disneyland together as kids. However, I have a vivid mental picture of the tow headed Honeyman kids, a station wagon and the sheer chaos that simply must have ensued. It's those kinds of mental pictures that have kept us from taking ours!

I've been to Disneyland once when I was 16. My husband went there on his honeymoon with his first wife (whom we refer to as the 'Demon Bitch from Hell or just 'The Demon' for short) so that has sort of ruined the place for him.

Putting all that aside, I am hoping to go make some GOOD memories of the place with our kids this year. You guys will all have a great time because you won't have any really young kids to deal with. Enjoy!

Amy said...

I don't remember the Honeyman trip to Disneyland being chaotic but hey I was one of the kids. ;)

I love the creative name for his ex. I should come up with one for mine but found that "jackass" works okay for now.

Amy said...

PS: He may be a "JackA" but his wife is pretty awesome. My son couldn't have a better step-mom.