Monday, February 16, 2009

My love of reading and books....

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. ~Paul Sweeney

Anyone who knows me well knows that to take away my books would be like taking away my spirit. I love to read. For as long as I can remember I have needed to read something.

As a young girl I fell in love with the Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gable's series and ever since have wanted to visit Nova Scotia. After Anne, I discovered author Lurlene McDaniel who writes about teenagers who are faced with life threatening illnesses. Through her stories I discovered there are worse things than being a somewhat awkward, kind of nerdy, healthy, teenager. I went through Francine Pascals Sweet Valley High series and wanted to be just like Elizabeth. Somewhere between high school and now, I've lost these books that I cherished so much as a teenager. I miss these books I loved as a youth in the same way I miss my old, ceramic, hand painted piggy bank given to me by one of my Grandmothers.
Thankfully the hardback copies of Anne of Green Gables were not lost with the paperback copies.

Though I will read almost anything, Romance novels have always been my favorite. After the Sweet Vally High phase, I discovered Judith McNaught and Julie Garwood, from there LaVryle Spencer, Nora Roberts, Debbie Macomber and the list goes on and on.

A problem I have is that I don't borrow books from the library, as much as I buy them. A trip to the grocery store will usually involve 5 minutes of book browsing. I have at least five boxes in my basement full of books, there are books on shelves in my living room and office. Then there are the boxes in the storage unit, and the books laying around the house in random places. I currently have one on the bed next to me saying "finish writing and READ me, please"; ten in the night stand that have been read, are waiting to be read, or were started but didn't hold my interest; one on the couch that I finished earlier today: and two more on the microwave waiting to be read.

Life is meant to be lived but there is something wonderful about being to escape reality for a few hours. I recommend it to everyone.

If anyone needs suggestion for a good book, I'm fairly certain I could give you one. You can also check out the "What I am reading now" link.

No comments: