Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"Sissy's Song"

Every now an then a song comes on the radio that expresses my feelings in ways that I cannot. Today I heard one by Alan Jackson called "Sissy's Song". After the first line my thoughts immediately went to my dear friend Jodi who passed away this past September in a car accident. Jodi left behind 2 sons who are in the Army.

Lately Jodi has been on my mind more often than not. The warm weather on the horizon reminds me of lazy days fishing, long drives with the windows rolled down and the radio blasting, floating out on the Spanish Fork reservoir, and sitting on the front porch talking. I miss my friend more and more each day and wish I could pick up the phone and call her like I used to or drive up to her house and go to the gas station for a drink run.

The picture in this post is from our last fishing trip together.

Tonight I went to Alan Jackson's website to find the video for "Sissy's Song" and read the following about why he wrote this song:

"He wrote it after the sudden death of Leslie “Sissy” Fitzgerald, who worked in the Jackson household and who the Jacksons saw every day. Sissy died on May 20, 2007, in a motorcycle accident, and left behind a college age daughter and high school age son and her husband, who is an expert car restorer and also works for the Jacksons. Jackson has said, “I didn’t sleep for a while. So I sat down one day and wrote this song and after that I felt all right.” Jackson recorded the song and gave it to the Fitzgerald family for the funeral." (http://www.alanjackson.com/)

This song reminds me that Jodi is okay and I will be okay to. It will just take some time. The link below is to the video for "Sissy's Song". If you have lost someone suddenly or too soon. I hope this brings you some sort of comfort.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/alan-jackson/355885/sissys-song.jhtml?

I tried to embed the video but have no idea how to do that.

No comments: