Monday, March 30, 2009

What's in a name?

It is official - our new puppy has a name. My sister-in-law and nephews came over to see the puppy and name ideas started flying. We went through the names of Star Wars characters and those from Lord of the Rings. We also had Moose, Bolt, and Jack Sparrow. The two finalists were: Chewbacca (Chewy) and Indiana Jones (Indy). On Saturday the name was officially decided.

Indy - as in Indiana Jones or Dr Jones.

It is a bit difficult getting used to a handle for the pup and for us. I stumble over the name and try to call him Maggie (after our old dog), Ozzie (the name of my friend's dog), and for some reason Iggy. As for Indy, he's not sure if we are talking to him or just saying more silly human stuff.

Indy has already made a couple of new friends. My friend, Shae, brought her Australian Shepherd with her from Seattle and Indy and Ozzie got along great. Ozzie is older and hasn't has any pups but she has a strong maternal instinct. The two played together all night and had all of us in stitches. Today, Indy met my sisters new pup, a chocolate lab named Kira. These two chased each other and my niece and nephews around the house like pack of - well - wild dogs.

We have had a few new puppy messes but all in all having a dog around again feels really good. I never really considered myself a pet person - dog, cat, or otherwise - but now I can say I am definitely a dog person.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

What a cute puppy! The problem, of course, is that they turn into dogs. I love OTHER people's dogs but we'll never have one of our own. We have 2 cats though.

No matter what kind, pets definately make your life better though so enjoy that cute little critter!