Wednesday, April 21, 2010

It could be worse...It really could

This morning when I attempted to leave the house to get my morning dose of cold caffeine (aka: Coke), my car would not move.  It started just fine.  It sounded like it usually does - not smooth but the way you would expect a vehicle with 230,000 miles to sound.  I put the Blazer in reverse, pressed on the gas, and did not move.  I gave it some more gas - no movement.  I put the Blazer in drive, pressed on the gas, and did not move.  I gave it more gas - still no movement.  The transmission has kicked the bucket.  I wish I could say this was a sudden death but alas, it has been coming for awhile now.  In fact, a year ago it nearly failed the emissions test due to a possible transmission problem.  For the last couple of months I have felt it giving up but have babied it along.  Yesterday was really bad.  I was barely able to move from an idling position but once I got going we were okay.  I guess it just couldn't hang on any longer.

Normally, I would be very upset by this turn of events.  I am really in no position financially to get a new used vehicle or to pay the $1700 it would take to get it rebuilt.  Nor am I even sure that would be an appropriate use of funds considering that when I fix one problem another pops up.  For example, I had a hole in my heater core hose.  I replaced the hose (by myself) and it was smooth sailing for about a week, until another leak popped up and I have no idea where it is coming from.  The reason I am trying to take it all in stride is because this is a truly minor problem when compared to what a family from church is going through.

The mother, Amy, is only about a year older than I am and I went to high school with her.  From what I understand from her husbands posts on Facebook and what I have heard from my friend's mom who spoke with her yesterday, Amy woke up in the middle of the night last week and coughed out a blood clot.  She had had the flu or something. At the hospital they discovered that she has a very invasive and rapid moving cancer.  Her lungs are filled with lesion's and they have moved into her brain. The doctor's stopped counting at 33 because there were so many.  Her prognosis is fatal.  One doctor has given her 1-3 weeks, another 1-3 months possibly 3 with treatment.  She is not going quietly. She has undergone some radiation treatments and began chemotherapy today.  Amy has 5 kids. 

Amy's husband has been keeping people updated on her status through Facebook and the love he has for his wife is evident in every post.  I cannot begin to imagine the strength needed to go through this.  The strength Amy needs to have to support her husband and children, and the strength her husband needs to have to support her and their children.  She is such a great and charitable person. This world will be missing someone very special. 

Amy and her family have been in my prayers ever since I found out and I ask that maybe all of you could say a prayer for them also. 

As you can see, when I put my troubles in perspective I realize that it could be a lot worse.  It really could.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Wow...stories like that really put things into perspective.

Hope you're able to figure out your car stuff too.

Linda said...

You and I really should be neighbors! I go out for my morning dose of cold caffeine each day too. Only now I've switched to diet!

My heart just breaks for your friend at church. You're right, it certainly does put things into perspective. I'll be keeping her and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

Single and Sane said...

Praying for Amy and her family. Thanks for sharing her story.

just call me jo said...

You know that I need those doses of reality occasionally so I don't wallow in self-pity. I MUST remember the perspective of problems. Though your car dying is pretty major it's nothing compared to your friend Amy's health tragedy. May she find peace in knowing she is loved. (And good luck with that transmission issue...)

tammy said...

That is so sad. Life and perspective can change in an instant.

Pam said...

That is sad. I have to remember things like that when I am upset about life events.