Tuesday, November 9, 2010

No Soliciting

Two guys rang my doorbell this evening while I was in the office working. My son answered the door and since it was snowing outside, he let them in out of the cold.

Who were these men? Door to door salesmen trying to sell me a home security system.

During their spiel they tried to convince me that one of my neighbors had a break in recently and there were four other home break-in’s in my neighborhood in the past few weeks. I live in a cul-de-sac and haven’t heard a thing about this.


I politely refused their services before telling them I had work to do and they needed to leave. I ushered them out of the door, turning the deadbolt as soon as it closed. Then gave me son the “you know better” lecture about letting them in the house, ending with “I don’t care if it’s a freaking blizzard they can darn well freeze to death before you let anyone like that in the house!!”

The truth is these guys freaked me out. I didn’t appreciate them trying to scare me into signing up for a security system. I can’t help but feel like they were casing the joint to see if we were an easy target for a break-in. My mind instantly went to the scenario where they or someone they hire break into my house in order to scare me into getting a security system. I was even afraid of leaving my house to run to the store in case they were waiting for an opening. This led to further home invasion scenario’s running through my mind. I then felt vulnerable seeing as the only “man” in the house is a sixteen year old.

To top off the scary thoughts, the ten o’clock news carried a story about a man who shot and killed a nineteen year old who was attempting to break into his house. It doesn’t look like any charges will be filed against him because he actually caught the kid trying to break the lock on the door.

I don’t like feeling vulnerable. I don’t like people trying to make me feel as though I am in danger. In fact it really, really ticks me off. So tonight, the porch light is on. The gun is loaded but in a safe place. And even though I am single and relatively alone, I still have a way to defend myself. It isn’t a false sense of security but the knowledge that an intruder may have to face the barrel of a loaded .357 will definitely help me sleep a little better tonight. Of course the dog in the back yard helps too.

Tomorrow, I am getting a “no soliciting” sign.

Oh, please keep any anti-gun ownership comments to yourself.  I get it.  Some people don't like them. I do. 

5 comments:

Jackie said...

That is scary. I don't like feeling vulnerable either. I'm also getting a no soliciting sign.

Jackie

just call me jo said...

My husband would be so supportive of your choice. He's always reminding me where the guns are. I don't blame you, but those guys were probably more stupid than dangerous (I pray.) Being from little ol' Idaho, I am probably more trusting than I should be in some cases. Our city instigated a "do not solicit" list. I think it has helped a little with those door-to-door pamphlet leavers. I hope you feel safer soon.

mCat said...

We were just talking about the same news story this morning (Splenda and me).

Reminds me why I took my concealed weapons permit training and why I still want my gun.

Hate solicitors! At least my yappy schnauzer is enough to annoy them into leaving

Cynthia said...

I wouldn't mess with you!

Amy said...

I forgot to get the "No Soliciting" sign out and another alarm company came out today. How annoying...GRR. At least this guy didn't freak me out the way the other two did.