Monday, May 30, 2011

Sunday Snippits

Did you know that Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day?  It began in May 1868 as a way to honor the nations Civil War dead.  On May 5, 1868, General John A. Logan "declared in General Order No. 11 that:
The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit (http://www.history.com/topics/memorial-day-history)."

After World War I, observances were held to honor all those who died in all of the American Wars.  In 1971, Congress officially declared the last Monday in May as Memorial Day.  ~ All facts courtesy of the www.history.com~

My Grandma still calls it Decoration Day. 

*****

This past year my son took a Social Dance class where they learned how to waltz, tango, cha-cha, and such (I don't remember all of them). At the end of the year they performed the waltz and cha-cha at a dance performance that included all of the different dance classes.  The Social Dance class was huge and by far the best.  My videography skills need work but here is a snippet of one of the dances. 

 

*****
I am moving into my Grandmother's house temporarily.  I do not need to be out of my house until the 15th of June but we are here now - at least for the nights.  I will continue to go to the other house to pack and work.  My bed will go into storage and while I like the bed here, I could not sleep that first night.  Then I brought over my own pillows and have slept like a baby. Sometimes we just need something of our own.

My temporary bed. Neatly pulled down for a solo nights sleep.  The pillows in the blue cases are mine. The blankets on the other half of the bed will still be under the pillows in the morning.
*****
I need help.  My blog is dull, boring, bland, ick. I work from home so there is little to no social interaction.  My son would get a complex if I wrote about him all the time.  Any ideas on how to make my blog better? The suggestion box is open.

3 comments:

Holly said...

1) Love that video! 2) I sent you an email. 3) I'm your newest follower! 4) I am not the one to ask about making your blog better. I don't have a clue, I like your blog just the way it is. It's not boring, bland or ick. Have a great day!

just call me jo said...

I love that you don't blog about adventurous vacations or earth-shattering events. Since I'm pretty much home bound too, I can identify with having nothing to blog about. (I'm struggling now too. Must be the moon or something.) Just keep writing about the simple stuff. Some of us don't need entertaining. We'll take you as you are because we like you that way. Hang in there. I wished we lived closer and I would help you move.

Anonymous said...

I like the things you write about. They are real, simple and sincere.
Sorry I can't offer any ideas - I am so NOT a flashy blogger either.

M-Cat